Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MLK Jr. Day

Tonight at 9:30pm a car was set on fire in the apartment complex just behind our alley. It was 15 ft or so behind our kitchen and the kids' room. Scary! As we got the babes together to get out of the house Rich asked me what else he should grab. I already had the cameras. (Didn't want to lose those again.) I told him to grab a change of clothes for each kid and some diapers. That was all I could think of. Nothing else was important.

The firefighters arrived and put out the fire so fast! 10 minutes later we were standing in front of our house talking with the neighbors and it was all over. Aiyana was asking a million questions! "Why did we have to get out of our house?" "Did the firemen use their hose?" "Why is Daddy back there?" "What's that smell?" "Mommy, how did the fire start?"

I finally got the kids back to sleep and began to ponder. Often in life we are reminded what is really important. Love. That is it. The bond that remains through everything in life and makes it all relevant.



Somebody once told me that if I had interracial children I would be intentionally giving my kids a bad start in life. They would be chastised and looked down upon. I knew at a young age that was wrong and I know even more today! I am filled with joy when I think about my family. My babies. They are celebrated by strangers everywhere we go; Costco, the post office, Target, the beach, the park. People love children! People can see the beauty that is children.
When two people come together in love and a child is born it doesn't matter the "race" of the two. The result is more love. That is what keeps this world spinning. The love of friends, the love of family, the love of God.

We live in amazing times and we are so fortunate!



Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King Jr.

2 comments:

Alliegatorfables said...

Beautiful! And you have a beautiful family!

TUTU Monkey said...

All these pictures are beautiful but the picture of you in the flowers is extra special!!


Such a nice post...:)